These little cupcakes might look innocent but they are laced with good Irish whiskey! They're a perfect St. Patrick's Day sweet treat for grown-ups.
- 1 2/3 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar or castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup butter, in cubes, softened
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2¼ cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- Mocha chocolate coffee beans, to garnish (in shape of coffee bean)
For the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the bowl. Add the two eggs to the center then add the butter, milk, whiskey and vanilla extract.
Using an electric hand mixer, beat all the ingredients together until just combined.
Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake liners and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm and light brown on top.
Allow to cool on a wire rack before applying the frosting.
For the Frosting:
In a bowl, beat the butter and add the icing sugar bit by bit until fully incorporated. Fold in the whiskey until smooth.
Using a mini offset spatula, spread the frosting over the cupcakes.
Decorate each cupcake with coffee beans and a dusting of espresso powder.