These potatoes have amassed almost 20 million views between the two times I posted them on TikTok.
This is more about the technique than the particular seasonings, so feel free to explore with what you have on hand! This is a classic British technique that I first saw many years ago when Emily Blunt was a guest on "The Barefoot Contessa."
- 2 to 4 pounds Yukon gold or redskin potatoes
- 1 large handful kosher salt (for the water)
- olive oil, avocado oil or goose fat, to taste
- fresh rosemary
- Old Bay
- flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- sweet Hungarian paprika
- garlic powder
- chopped fresh parsley or dill, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 450 F.
2. Clean and cut the potatoes into your desired size and place them in a pot of cold water. Add a handful of salt and bring to a boil. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, until they are almost fork-tender.
3. Drain the potatoes and use a spoon to rough-up the edges of them. This increases the surface area, which will give them more places to get crispy.
4. Transfer the potatoes onto a half-sheet pan. Drizzle with the oil and seasonings. Make sure everything is lightly but evenly coated in the oil and seasonings.
5. Roast at 15 to 25 minutes (every oven is different so go by appearance, not by a timer) and toss the potatoes around a couple times while they roast.
6. When the potatoes look near perfectly crispy, turn off the oven and let them sit in the oven with it off for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Finish with fresh, tender herbs such as dill or parsley.