Salad Nicoise is a seasonal salad from Nice in South of France. This is a twist using Indonesian ingredients. It is a very refreshing salad and easy to make.
Swap option: Instead of samabal oelek, sriracha sauce could be used or another type of chili condiment. Nicoise salad is usually served with fresh tuna. In this recipe we use yellowtail slices, but salmon, tuna or trout could be used instead.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh turmeric
- 1 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- Mixed greens (mesclun salad)
- Ginger-turmeric vinaigrette
- 3 soft boiled eggs, quartered
- 6 fingerling potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 5 Cerignola olives, pitted
- 10 slices yellowtail sashimi
- 10 slices grilled shiitake mushrooms
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon crispy shallots chips, store-bought
- 1 tablespoon crispy garlic chips, store-bought
For the ginger-turmeric vinaigrette:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice and sambal oelek. Set aside.
2. In a small pot, combine the olive and sesame oils and heat until it reaches 400°F.
3. Place the ginger, turmeric and garlic in a bowl. Pour the hot oil over the aromatics and let cool slightly. Whisk in the soy mixture and set aside.
For the salad:
In serving bowls, place greens, then drizzle with vinaigrette, and topped with the eggs, potatoes, olives, sashimi, shiitake, tomatoes, crispy shallots and garlic.