This is such a simple sweet treat. While I love to make my own pie dough, subbing pre-made small pie shells saves a lot of time. Top the finished pies with some strawberry slices or orange sections if you want something fruity.
Technique tip: Want a shinier pie shell? Brush the edges with whole milk.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 16 to 20 mini pre-made pie shells (about 1¾ inches)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cream, half and half and vanilla. Gently stir in the flour. Do not over mix.
3. Arrange the shells on a baking sheet in a single layer with space between each. Pour the filling into a small pitcher and fill each pie shell.
4. Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake until the filling is set, 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Sprinkle with additional sugar and cinnamon if desired.