Make Indian-style chicken breasts with the easy addition of cumin, turmeric, onion powder and ground coriander.
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Starting at the thicker side, make a lengthwise cut into the top two-thirds of a chicken breast, stopping before cutting all the way through. Fold it open like a book. (The chicken breast should still be in one piece). Put the breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound it out on both sides with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, working from the inside out, until it's spread to double its original size and about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
2. In a bowl, combine the cumin, turmeric, onion powder, coriander, salt, several grinds of pepper, and the olive oil. Season and pound as described in the main recipe above.
3. Heat a grill or saute pan and cook chicken on medium high to desired doneness, about 2-4 minutes per side.