- 1 cup shallots, peeled, thinly sliced in rings, and separated (from 2 to 4 shallots)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 large radicchio, halved, cored and shredded like slaw (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large endive, halved lengthwise, cored, and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick (about 8 ounces)
- 3 ounces baby arugula
- 4 navel oranges, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch-thick half-rounds
- 2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon good Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
This is a simple Italian salad with really interesting ingredients: radicchio, endive, arugula, oranges, olives and a lemon vinaigrette. It's a great winter salad to serve with a roast chicken.
Technique tip: For a more professional peeled orange, slice off the top and bottom, stand it upright on the board, and remove the peel by cutting along the contour of the orange, making sure to remove all the white pith.
Place the shallots in a small shallow bowl and pour the vinegar over them. Set aside for 10 minutes to macerate.2.
In a large shallow serving bowl, combine the radicchio, endive, arugula, oranges and olives. Lift the shallots from the vinegar with a slotted spoon, sprinkle them on the salad, and toss lightly (discard the vinegar).3.
In a 1-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil. Pour enough of the vinaigrette over the salad to moisten well. Sprinkle with one more teaspoon salt, toss well, and taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.