Ina Garten's version of the kale salad includes salty pancetta and nutty pecorino.
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 lemons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Italian Pecorino cheese
- 1 pound lacinato kale (also called dinosaur or Tuscan kale)
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-diced) bread cubes
- 1/2 cup shaved Italian Pecorino cheese (2 ounces)
- For the dressing, place the anchovies, garlic, mustard, egg yolks, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 30 seconds, until smooth. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube, until the mixture emulsifies. Add the grated Pecorino and process just until combined. Transfer to a container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash the kale and spin it dry in a salad spinner. Remove the rib from each leaf. Stack the leaves and slice them thinly crosswise, as you would cole slaw. Place the kale in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to moisten.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium (10-inch) sauté pan. Add the pancetta and cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, tossing frequently, until browned and crisp. Transfer the pancetta with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the bread cubes to the pan, sprinkle with salt, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, tossing frequently, until evenly browned. Add the pancetta, toasted bread, and shaved Pecorino to the kale and toss with large spoons. Serve at room temperature.
Make ahead: Prepare the dressing, slice the kale, and store separately in the fridge. Just before serving, cook the pancetta and toasted bread cubes, toss the kale with the dressing, and complete the recipe.
Reprinted from Cooking for Jeffrey. Copyright © 2016 by Ina Garten. Photographs by Quentin Bacon. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.