Jeffrey and I were having some friends for drinks, and he couldn't believe how quickly I put these appetizers together! You put the fig spread on toast, then add some creamy cheese, sprinkle with microgreens and drizzle it all with syrupy balsamic vinegar. They taste like grown-up cream cheese and jelly sandwiches.
Technique tip: I prefer fig spread, which has less sugar than fig jam or fig preserves, but of course you can use either. Choose a fig spread that is quite thick or it will be hard to spread the cheese on top.
- 1 (1-pound) loaf country bread, halved, and sliced crosswise 3/8-inch thick
- 1 (8.5-ounce) jar good fig spread, such as Dalmatia (see note)
- 8 ounces plain creamy cheese, such as goat cheese or cream cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe fresh figs, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- syrupy balsamic vinegar
Toast the bread in a toaster and while still warm, spread the fig spread on each slice to cover it entirely.2.
Place the cheese in a bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, until it's creamy and spreadable, leaving the edges of the fig spread visible. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.3.
Cut each toast crosswise to make appetizers that will be easy to eat.4.
Place a fig slice on each piece, top with a few microgreens and drizzle lightly with the balsamic vinegar. Serve at room temperature.
Excerpted from Modern Comfort Food by Ina Garten. Copyright 2020. Clarkson Potter/Publishers. All Rights Reserved.