Hummingbird cake is a classic Southern dessert that's perfect for the holidays with its cream cheese frosting, pineapples, bananas and pecans. The recipe calls for dividing the batter into 12 individual bundt cake pans, so each person gets his or her own cake.
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, preferable white cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 cup diced banana
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
Ingredients to Prepare the Pans
- Butter spray
- 3 tablespoons sugar, preferable white cane sugar
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
For the hummingbird cake:
1. Preheat oven to 325º F.
2. In a small bowl, add 1 cup of raisins and add 1/2 cup of dark rum and a 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir and make sure raisins are completely immersed in the liquid. Let the raisins soak overnight if possible, or at least 4 hours.
3. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk or stir with fork until mixed together.
4. In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
6. Add the diced pineapple, banana and chopped pecans. Drain raisins completely of liquid and add to the batter (discard soaking liquid).
7. Liberally coat the inside of 12 tall Bundt cake tins with butter spray.
8. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of sugar evenly into each Bundt cake opening.
9. Scoop batter into each opening and fill to 3/4 full.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
11. Put a cooling rack over the Bundt pan and turn over to release the cakes from the pan.
12. Let cakes cool for about 20 minutes before frosting.
For the cream cheese maple frosting:
1. Mix ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. If lumpy, pour mixture into a small food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Once the cakes have slightly cooled (about 20 minutes), drizzle icing on cakes with a spoon. (For easier clean up, put the mini Hummingbird cakes on a sheet of parchment before drizzling on the frosting.)