"Telcolote Café's addition of fried bananas makes this breakfast dish a stand out. Who knew that fried bananas, eggs and refried beans would be such companions on a breakfast plate?," says Hannah Hart, host of the Food Network show I Hart Food.
This is a great recipe because it is a unique combination of flavors. It has the spicy New Mexico green chili sauce, the sweetness of the fried bananas also the savory flavor of the black beans and feta cheese.
Technique tip: Note this is a layered dish so it's best to start by preparing or heating green chili sauce, black beans and pozole.
Swap option: New Mexico green chili sauce is always best, but you could swap for canned green chili sauce. You could also swap the black beans for canned black beans or swap the pozole (aka hominy) for home fries or another side dish of your choice.
- Oil, for frying
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas
- 4 to 6 bananas, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 quart green chili sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 1 quart prepared black beans, store-bought or homemade
- 8 to 12 eggs, prepared any style
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 4 to 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 pint pico de gallo, store-bought or homemade
- 1 quart prepared pozole (aka hominy), store-bought or homemade
1. Heat about 1/4-inch oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Lightly fry the corn tortillas until golden then remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Then fry the bananas cut side down until the edges are golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Preheat the broiler to medium-high heat.
3. Place a lightly fried corn tortilla on each oven-safe plate. Then add about 2 ounces each of the green chili sauce and black beans. Then place two of the prepared eggs on top of each plate.
4. Ladle an additional 2 ounces of the green chili sauce over the eggs. On top of that, sprinkle about a tablespoon of feta cheese and lay a slice of Swiss cheese over the feta.
5. Place the plates under the broiler and let cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
6. Garnish the top of each plate with a tablespoon of pico de gallo. Place a friend banana half on both sides of each plate. Serve with a 4-ounce ladle of pozole on the side.