For the best Hot Buttered Rum, it is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove batter from refrigerator at least six hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.
Hot Buttered Rum Batter
- 1 pound light brown sugar
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
For each drink
- 2 heaping teaspoons of Hot Buttered Rum Batter (above)
- 1½ ounces rum, like Mount Gay Extra Old rum
- Boiling water, as needed
For the Batter: In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.
For each drink: In a pre-heated coffee mug, combine 2 heaping tablespoons of the Batter with the rum. Top with 6 ounces of boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.