December is a busy time, between work and getting ready for the holidays. So, a quick, nutritious and delicious Chinese meal could get you back on track. In fact, this dish could even make a fuss-free Christmas dinner.
Chef's tips: Serve with a portion of brown rice. You can also use this marinade with pork ribs or pork tenderloin.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 organic chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in (for maximum flavor)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or rapeseed oil
- 2 pinches sea salt flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red cayenne chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 large bunch dinosaur kale, sliced into 1-inch pieces (tough ribs discarded)
Place all the ingredients for the honey-hoisin marinade in a zip lock bag, place the chicken thighs in the bag, close the bag and give it a good mix. Marinade in the fridge for 1 hour.2.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the chicken from the fridge, transfer into a glass baking dish and bake for 25 minutes at 350°F.3.
While the chicken thighs are baking, prepare all the ingredients for the spicy green onion sauce and kale stir-fry.4.
Heat a wok over high heat and add the peanut oil. Season the oil with sea salt flakes and then add in the garlic, ginger, spring onion, and chili. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable or chicken stock. Then remove from the heat to retain the flavor of the sauce.5.
Reheat the wok over high heat, add the dinosaur kale and add a small splash of water around the edges of the wok to create some steam. Toss, cooking for 2 minutes until tender but still al dente. Then toss in 1 tablespoon of the green onion sauce and toss well to coat (you can use the wok lid to help you). Spoon out a portion onto a serving plate with a serving of baked honey-hoisin chicken.