The secret ingredient in this sweet cake is olive oil. This healthy, non-dairy fat keeps the cake light and flavorful. Always make sure to use a great quality extra-virgin olive oil.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, whisked
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup best quality honey
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan or 2 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
3. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the eggs, applesauce, apple cider, vanilla extract, olive oil and honey.
4. Whisk everything together and then pour into the prepared pan(s).
5. Bake for 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
6. Cool cake on a cooling rack until it can be comfortably handled. Remove from pan(s) and let cool completely before wrapping and storing at room temperature or freezing for up to 1 month.
7. Drizzle with honey or powdered sugar just before serving if desired.