A rich cream cheese frosting is the perfect finishing touch for these homemade cinnamon rolls from TASTY.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk, warm (110˚-115˚F)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Generously butter two disposable foil pie/cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, warm milk and granulated sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F. If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.
3. Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for 1 minute.
4. Add 4 cups of the flour to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C.
7. After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size. Remove the towel and add an additional 3/4 cup of flour, plus the baking powder and salt. Stir well then turn out onto a well floured surface.
8. Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
9. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
10. Spread the softened butter evenly over the dough.
11. Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Press the mixture into the butter.
12. Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed.
13. Cut the log in half, then divide each half into seven evenly sized pieces (about 1½ inches thick each).
14. Place seven cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
15. Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
16. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, whole milk, and powdered sugar until smooth.
17. Remove the cinnamon buns from the oven. While still warm drizzle evenly with frosting.