What could be better than filling crispy, crunchy spring rolls with all the flavors of a meaty hoagie? Nothing!
Technique tip: When frying, make sure to use a pot with tall sides so as to avoid a "boil over" of oil.
Cherry pepper ketchup
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cherry peppers
- 1/4 cup cherry pepper brine
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound salami, diced
- 1/2 pound capicola, diced
- 1/2 pound sharp provolone, diced
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, diced
- 1/2 pound banana peppers, chopped
- 1 cup minced pimentos
- 1 cup minced red onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 32 spring roll sheets
- 3 eggs, beaten
For the cherry pepper ketchup:
Combine all the ingredients in a food process or blender and process until smooth.
For the spring rolls:
1. Preheat a heavy-bottomed saucepan with about 1/2-inch oil to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the salami, capicola, provolone, ham, banana peppers, pimentos, red onions, Parmesan cheese and dried oregano and mix to combine well.
3. Place about 2½ to 3 ounces of the mixture in the center of 16 of the spring roll wrappers. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and roll according to package instructions.
4. Brush the remaining wrappers with the beaten egg and rewrap the rolls so they each have a double wrap.
5. Fry the spring rolls for about 2½ minutes, until golden and crispy on all sides.
Serve the spring rolls hot with the cherry pepper ketchup on the side.