What could be more romantic than making and sharing a heart-shaped pizza with your sweetheart?
Technique tip: Don't overload the toppings to avoid a soggy pizza.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound store-bought frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 cup store-bought pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
Assorted Toppings (optional)
- pepperoni, browned crumbled sausage, prepared pesto, roasted vegetables, sliced bell peppers, sliced onions, sliced fresh mushrooms, fresh basil, chile flakes, dried oregano, minced garlic, etc.
1. Drizzle olive oil in a bowl and add the pizza dough. Turn once to coat in the oil. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and allow to stand at room temperature for at least 45 minutes and up to 1½ hours.
2. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 500 F. Place a rack on the lowest rung.
3. Divide dough in half, keep one bowl in the covered bowl while you work on the other.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll out into a circle about 9-10 inches in diameter. Use a paring knife to cut a V shape out of the top and then transfer the pizza to a pizza stone or overturned baking sheet and use your hands to stretch out the top and pull down the bottom to form a heart shape.
5. Spread a few generous spoonfuls of sauce thinly and evenly over the dough allowing for an 1-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle with cheese (if using) and your favorite toppings.
6. Place in the preheated oven and bake until crust is golden and slightly puffed, and the ingredients are fully cooked, about 7-9 minutes. Slide onto a serving platter, then repeat with remaining half of dough.