Omelets are often just filled with cheese, which offers flavor and calcium, but doesn’t help us meet those extra nutritional needs (like fiber!) that veggies provide. I’ve used the power of a classic, cloud-like omelet to not only pack in the protein, but I also up the filling factor with tasty spinach, cauliflower rice and mushrooms.
- 1/2 cup cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1. Spray a large sauté pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower rice, spinach, mushrooms and salt. Sauté veggies for 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove from the pan and let cool.
2. Heat butter over medium heat until melted; add eggs. Turn heat down slightly. Cook 4 minutes, then add veggies and cheese to outer edge of eggs. Fold in half and cook an additional 2 minutes until set.
3. Serve immediately with fresh fruit or a fresh green salad.