Topping turkey burgers with traditional pizza toppings adds loads of flavor without packing on too many calories and carbs.
- 1¼ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices uncured pepperoni
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 sprouted whole grain buns or whole grain buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3½ cups jarred pizza sauce, warmed
1. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, onion, sweet pepper, oregano, fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt and crushed red pepper. Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties. Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil.
2. For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14-18 minutes or until no longer pink and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
3. Top each patty with a pepperoni slice and then a cheese slice for the last 1-2 minutes of grilling.
4. To assemble, place grilled patties on bun bottoms. Top with basil, pizza sauce and bun tops.