I have yet to meet a kid who doesn’t like pizza. That’s why it’s standard fare at most birthday parties, sleepovers and school functions. Homemade pizza is actually a fairly healthy food. It provides the antioxidant lycopene in the tomato sauce, plus calcium and protein from the cheese. However, the sodium content overall tends to be high, especially with salty toppings like pepperoni and sausage.
We gave this kid favorite a makeover that still hits all the flavor marks and is super easy for parents or older kids to make. Instead of using pepperoni made with beef and pork, we used turkey pepperoni, which has less saturated fat and 60 fewer calories per ounce. If kids want to get even more creative, they can top the pizza with different veggies.
English Muffin Pizza
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split in half
- 2 tablespoons smooth, no-sugar added tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 6 slices turkey pepperoni
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toast English muffin lightly in toaster.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon tomato sauce evenly over both sides of the English muffin.
4. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella over each muffin half.
5. Place 3 pepperoni slices over each muffin half. Then transfer English muffins to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before packing.