If you've never tried making cake in the microwave, you're going to love this recipe. This crave-worthy dessert makes a single serving in less than 5 minutes. Top it with a surprisingly frosting made with only two ingredients ... and then feel free to jazz it up by adding a sprinkle of raisins or chopped pecans.
For the cake
- 1/4 cup yellow boxed cake mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrots, finely chopped
For the frosting
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
1. Mist a large, microwave-safe mug with cooking oil spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine all cake ingredients and whisk together.
3. Pour the cake mixture into the mug and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. (Start with 2 minutes and check to see if the batter has cooked. If not, place the mug back into the microwave for another 30 seconds). Let it cool.
4. To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese and maple syrup together until well blended.
5. Spread over the carrot cake and dig in!