These hearty breakfast sandwiches are perfect for the morning after a big night out since that savory/salty and slightly sweet flavor combo really hits the spot. We gave the heavier original a healthy upgrade for a filling breakfast that has just 315 calories and 20 grams of protein.
Egg and Sausage Sandwich
- 1 chicken and maple breakfast sausage patty
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 1 whole wheat English muffin
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 chive, minced (optional)
- 1 tomato slice
1. Cook the breakfast sausage according to directions on package. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Crack the egg into a bowl, add the milk, salt, pepper and whisk until combined.
3. Spray a small, nonstick frying pan thoroughly with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add the egg and cook for about 1½ to 2 minutes, until the edges are set. Use a rubber spatula to push eggs away from sides of pan. Gently fold egg in half and cook an additional 30 seconds until completely set.
4. Turn heat to low (egg should be golden, not browned). Cut the egg in half with a spatula and place the cheddar cheese on top of one of the halves. Cover the pan and allow cheese to melt, about 1 minute. Turn heat off.
4. While the egg is cooking and the cheese is melting, toast the English muffin to desired degree of doneness.
5. Place the cheesy egg halves on an English muffin. Add the minced chives on top, if using. Top with the tomato slice, followed by the sausage. Place the other English muffin half on top and enjoy.