- 15 ounces heavy mayo
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- oil, for frying
- 1 pound wild caught whiting fish fillets, about 2 to 4 ounces each
- seasoned corn flour
- 2 pounds large wild caught shrimp, about 8 to 10 shrimp per pound, peeled and deveined
- Chef Tami's Garlic Aioli (recipe above)
- 6 hoagie potato rolls
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or mixed salad greens
- thinly sliced tomatoes
My roots are from the Dutch Caribbean and Deep South and they're very strong! I grew up eating from the sea combined with soul food recipes weaved in like shrimp or fish and grits. My po'boys are an ode to my heritage, and I am super proud of those influences.
For the garlic aioli:
Mix together all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
For the po'boys:1.
Heat a deep-fryer or pot of oil to 350 F.2.
Dredge fish in corn flour and fry till golden brown and crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.3.
Repeat the dredge and frying with the shrimp.4.
Spread the garlic aioli on both sides of the bread.5.
Place the shredded lettuce on bottom side of bread. Dress top side of the bread with sliced tomatoes.6.
Layer 2 pieces of fish in the center or 5 to 6 shrimp per sandwich.