This soup has it all! It's meaty, carby and packed with so much goodness from the kale. I always eat this soup from a big mug to make me feel cozy and warm.
Technique tip: Make sure the pasta is just cooked to al-dente, as it will continue to soften as the soup cools.
Swap option: You can leave out the ham and use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian. Spinach, or any other greens, would work in place of the kale.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon or pancetta lardons
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ cups chopped kale
- 6 cups good quality chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups small pasta, such as stars or twists
- 1½ cups shredded cooked ham
- Fine salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
Put the onion, bacon and olive oil into a large saucepan or Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Cook until the onions start to become soft, and a little golden. Add the garlic and kale, fry for a minute, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Throw in the pasta and ham and cook until the pasta is al dente. Season well, add lemon juice to taste and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.