Quiche is one of the most versatile things you can make! It's a meal that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner and makes the most of leftover proteins and veggies.
Technique tip: Whisking eggs and flour together makes for a light and creamy custard.
Swap option: You could use almost any cheese; white cheddar or Parmesan would be lovely.
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1/2 cup diced ham or 6 thick-cut smoky bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 6 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Assorted fresh herbs (such as thyme and basil), for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 F.2.
Fit piecrust into greased 9-inch pie plate.3.
Sprinkle the ham and cheese in bottom of piecrust.4.
Whisk together the flour and 1 of the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and remaining 3 eggs; whisk in the cream.5.
Pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese in the piecrust. Bake in the preheated oven until the custard is set and the crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.6.
Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 wedges.