These tasty sandwiches are best served on homemade Cheddar and Chive Biscuits. The cheesy, flaky biscuits compliment the smoky ham and sweet pepper jelly perfectly.
Swap option: You can use beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of pork stock.
Red pepper jam (makes 2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 2 pounds red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, very finely chopped
- 1/4 pound Fresno chiles, stems and seeds removed, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 5½ pounds sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons apple pectin
- Cheddar biscuits, homemade or store-bought
- 3 pounds smoked ham, sliced
- 1 quart pork stock
- Red pepper jam (recipe above)
For the red pepper jam:
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, chiles and salt and cook until softened.
2. Add vinegar and half of the sugar, bring to a simmer.
3. In a bowl, sift together the other half of the sugar and apple pectin. Whisk this sugar mixture into the pot and bring to a boil, stirring often (be careful as the jam will be very hot and sticky at this point). 4. Transfer jam to a metal bowl or jars and cool in an ice bath.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a pot, bring the pork stock to a low simmer.
3. Cut the biscuits in half and place in the oven for a few minutes, until warmed through.
4. Place a small spoonful of the red pepper jam on each half of the biscuits.
5. Dip the smoked ham slices in the hot pork stock then place on the biscuits and enjoy like a sandwich.