If you use a brioche bun, brush the top with melted garlic butter and it will be beautifully toasted and oh-so-wonderfully flavorful.
PIG & ANCHOR MELT
- 1 burger bun (brioche preferred)
- 3 ounces pulled pork
- 3 ounces sliced brisket
- 2 slices double pork belly bacon
- 8 thin pickle slices
- 1 ounce Donkey Sauce
- 1.5 ounces of cheese sauce
- 1.5 ounces of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 6 thin slices of steak tomato
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, if desired
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- Soft butter, as needed
- French fries, for serving
- 5 pounds brisket
- 1/4 cup deli mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar in the raw
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ground
- 5 pounds pork butt
- 1/4 cup deli mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt kosher
- 1 teaspoon coffee ground
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
BROWN SUGAR BACON
- 12 pieces thick cut smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
SUPER MELTY CHEESE
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ pound Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 pound shredded smoked gouda
- 1/2 pound shredded white cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon roasted garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
To make the SMC (super melty cheese):
1. Use a small sauce pot on medium heat and add the half and half. Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low and start by whisking in the Velveeta cheese until it fully melts.
2. Once the Velveeta has completely melted add the white cheddar, smoked gouda, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to whisk on low heat until all the cheese is fully melted.
3. Set aside and keep warm.
To make the donkey sauce:
1. Place all the ingredients into food processor or blender and puree till smooth.
2. If a food processor or blender are unavailable simply smash the garlic into a paste, then mix with all other ingredients.
To smoke the pork and brisket:
1. Rub the meat with a dry rub until fully coated and set aside.
2. Set the smoker at 210 degrees and place a small bowl of water in the smoker to keep the humidity up.
3. Place the pork butt and brisket in the smoker and smoke for 16 hours maintaining even heat and smoke.
4. Once finished, (both should be soft to the touch with an internal temperature of 180 degrees), wrap with butcher's paper or foil and rest in a low temperature oven at 145 degrees.
To make the candied bacon:
1. Simply rub the bacon with light brown sugar and place on a parchment lined tray.
2. Bake at 350 degrees until caramelized and crispy (about 15 minutes).
To assemble the sandwich:
1. Apply the butter on the inner side of bread and toast the top until golden brown.
2. Sear pork and beef in a skillet or frying pan with the barbecue and cheese sauces.
3. Divide the seared meat into two equal portions. Top each portion with sliced cheese. Transfer to a tray or plate.
4. Smear Donkey Sauce over the toasted halves of the bun.
5. Add the pork, beef and cheese and top with sliced pickles and tomatoes.
6. Top with sliced bacon and lettuce.
7. Close the bun and insert a steak knife into center (to make it easier for guests to cut!) and serve with a side of french fries.