Putting barbecue sauce in a drink might sound pretty out there, but it really amps up the sweet and smoky flavors of this classic citrusy cocktail.
- 10 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sugar
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1 ounce agave nectar
- 1 ½ ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce bourbon brown sugar barbecue sauce
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
For the rim:
1. On a small plate, stir together the chipotle powder and sugar until well blended.
2. Place a small amount of lime juice on a second small plate.
3. Dip the rim of a cocktail glass into the lime juice and then slowly rotate the edge around in the chipotle sugar. Fill with ice and set aside.
For the margarita:
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with several ice cubes and add the tequila, agave nectar, lime juice, barbecue sauce and bitters.
2. Cover shaker and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.
3. Strain contents from the shaker into the rimmed glass and serve.