I think the guacamole is the perfect entertaining recipe. It is so easy to put together and always delicious — as long as you have ripe avocados.
Technique tip: Adding grenadine instead of sugar to the pickled red onions adds sweetness and a really intense red color.
Swap option: You can use regular red onion or green onion.
Pickled red onions
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grenadine
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pickled red onions, drained (recipe above)
- Tortilla chips, for serving
For the pickled red onions:
Combine vinegar, lime juice, 1/4 cup of water, salt and grenadine in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat; cook until salt is dissolved.
Put the onions in a bowl and pour the pickling liquid over and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 72 hours. Onions will last for up to 1 month, tightly covered in the refrigerator.
For the guacamole:
Put the avocado halves into a large bowl and coarsely mash with a fork (do not make smooth). Add the poblano, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix until combined. Transfer relish to a bowl, top with pickled red onion and more chopped