Nobody will be able to resist this ghoulish guacamole dip with several devilishly delicious layers.
Technique tip: Use different color pitas to add variety to the scene.
Special equipment: Oval- or tombstone-shaped cookie cutter, ghost-shaped cookie cutter, spooky cat-shaped cookie cutter and 9-by-13-inch dish.
- 4 large pocketless pita bread rounds
- 1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, plus more as needed
- 1 pinch salt
Seasoned sour cream
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 3 cups canned refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- Extra pita chips, for serving
- Crudites, for serving
For the graveyard chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Using a small knife and/or cookie cutters, carefully cut the pita bread into tombstone, ghost and spooky cat shapes. Depending on how far apart you want your tombstones, create 7 to 10 pieces.
3. Place the shapes on a sheet tray and bake until they are firm and crispy, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the guacamole:
In a large bowl, add the jalapeño, onion, tomatoes, avocado and lime juice. Mash until combined.
Add the salt to taste and more lime juice to the top of the guacamole to keep it from browning. Set aside.
For the sour cream:
In a medium bowl, add the sour cream and taco seasoning. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
1. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, layer the refried beans.
2. Pour the seasoned sour cream on top of the beans and spread it into an even layer.
3. Layer on the shredded cheddar cheese, then add the pico de gallo.
4. Spoon the guacamole on top of the pico, keeping the surface slightly uneven to achieve a slightly rough texture. Sprinkle with a little extra squeeze of lime juice and chill the entire dish for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let it set.
4. Before serving, place the pita tombstones into the dip, spreading them out evenly. Create little "graves" by sprinkling a small mound of black olive "dirt" at the base of some of the tombstones. Add the ghost- and spooky cat-shaped chips for decoration.
5. Serve with extra pita chips and crudites on the side for dipping.