You can be very creative with this recipe. The number of possible topping combinations is endless.
Technique tip: Shred the lettuce as thin as possible to achieve a great texture.
Swap option: Ground turkey works well in this recipe. You may have to add a tablespoon of oil to compensate for the lower fat content.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced jalapeños
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of the salt, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Set aside for later use.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Once hot, add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes, add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Set onions and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same sauté pan, add the ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes until almost completely cooked. Drain and discard any excess fat.
4. Return the ground beef to the heat, add 1½ tablespoons of the seasoning mixture, cilantro and the onion and garlic mixture and stir to combine.
5. Char the tortillas over an open flame if you have a gas grill, or warm them in the oven. Place about a 1/4 cup ground beef in each tortilla, top with sour cream, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, scallions and jalapeños.