This is a fresh, feel-good salad that goes well with all grilled meats, especially during the hot summer months.
Technique tip: Salting and resting the watermelon will help to draw out excess water. This will accentuate grill marks and allow better absorption of the dressing.
- 1 small watermelon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ pounds tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat the grill to high heat or 450°F.
2. Cut the watermelon into 1¼-inch thick rounds. Generously salt both sides of each slice and put them on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking pan for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse the salt from the watermelon rounds and pat them dry with paper towels. Brush the watermelon pieces with 1/4 cup of the oil. Put the watermelon on the grill over direct heat and cook until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the watermelon from the grill, trim and discard the rind, and cut it into 1-inch cubes, picking out as many seeds as you can.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the watermelon, tomatoes, onion, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, sugar and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top before serving.