- 6 cups grilled watermelon, chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tomato, core removed and chopped
- 1/2 onion or shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Hot kitchens in the summertime are no fun. This soup features everything that is great about summer, and there's no cooking required.
Technique tip: Use a melon baller to remove the seeds from the tomato, it makes prep a snap.
Swap option: You can swap tomatoes for watermelon.
For the watermelon:
Heat grill to medium heat. Cut watermelon into 1-inch thick wedges, leaving the rind on. This will keep the watermelon from falling apart on the grill.
Place watermelon wedges on the grill. Cook until grill marks form and fruit softens slightly, about 2 minutes per side.
For the gazpacho:1.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth.2.
Cover and refrigerate until chilled and you're ready to serve.3.
To serve, spoon the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with diced cucumber and fresh basil.