This recipe because it brings out the lighter side of steak. Pairing it with white beans, bright fresh pesto and charred spring onions lighten up the flavors of this meaty dish making it perfect for a warm-weather dinner.
Swap option: Used canned beans instead if you don't have time to soak dried beans overnight.
- 1½ cups dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- TKTK TKTK spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 1 head garlic cloves, peeled
- TKTK TKTK olive oil
- 4-6 roasted jalapeños, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 prime New York strip steaks (about 16 ounces each)
- Peanut oil
- 6 spring onions
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the beans:
1. Bring beans, head of garlic, 3 tablespoons oil and 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat, add a heaping tablespoon of salt and simmer gently until beans are creamy all the way through but skins aren't falling off, 35-45 minutes. Remove garlic and discard. Let cool.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook crushed garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring, just until garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to skillet and cook, tossing gently, until beans are warmed through. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and 1/4 cup bean cooking liquid and toss, adding more cooking liquid if needed, until beans are "saucy." Taste and season with salt.
For the pesto:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until mostly smooth.
For the steak:
1. Preheat grill to at least 500°F.
2. Brush both sides of the steak with peanut oil. Brush the spring onions with peanut oil on all sides. Liberally season the steak and onions with salt and pepper.
3. Clean grill and place steaks on the grill. Place lemon, cut-side down, on the grill. Flip steak after 4 minutes. Remove steaks from the grill after 2 minutes and remove the lemon.
4. Let steaks rest for at least 20 minutes. Then put steaks back on the grill with the onions. Flip the onions after about 1-2 minutes. Remove the steaks and onions after about 3 minutes.
Squeeze grilled lemon on both the steak and the onions and serve with cannellini beans and pesto on the side.