When you can't decide between a dessert and a cheese course, make this dish. It's a little savory, a little sweet, and perfectly balanced. It's just the thing when the grill's been fired up all day but you're not quite ready to let those hot coals go.
Swap option: If blue cheese is not your flavor, fresh ricotta would be equally lovely here.
- 4 stone fruits such as apricots, peaches or plums, halved and pitted
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, preferably Maldon
- 1 small wedge (about 1/4 pound) best-quality blue cheese
- 1/4 cup best-quality honey
- Small basil leaves
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grates with oil.
2. Brush the fruit halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Put them flesh-side down on the hot grill and cook just until you get some good grill marks on the fruit, about 4 minutes. Turn the fruit and grill for another 2 minutes.
3. Transfer the fruit to a platter, garnish with a bit of blue cheese, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of basil.