- 1 pound shell-on large shrimp
- 4 pound t olive oil
- 4 pound large shallots, finely sliced
- 4 pound large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 pound t fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 t dried
- 2 pound bay leaves
- 1 3/4 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 9 ounce feta cheese crumbled (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch t fennel seeds
Preheat grill to medium-high heat and place sauté pan on grill.
Heat 2 T of the olive oil in a sauté pan, add the shallots and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add 1 of the garlic cloves, 2 T of the thyme and the bay leaves.
Add the tomatoes, stir briefly, then cover with foil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the feta cheese on top and cover with the foil again for five to ten minutes.
Heat 1 T of the oil in a large skillet on the grill.
Add the scallions and the remaining 3 garlic and 1 tablespoon thyme and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the shrimp and fennel seeds and cook, turning frequently until the shrimp are opaque, about 2 minutes.
Add the shrimp to the pan with the tomatoes and feta and cover for 10 minute so the flavors can develop fully.
Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top.