I love this dish because it is so versatile. You can serve it hot off the grill, cook in advance and serve it at room temperature or chilled as a main course. It's also great for lunch; I have even taken this dish and put it on bread for a summery sandwich!
Technique tip: When buying salmon, ask for pieces from the same part of the filet so they are a similar dimension and cook at the same rate. For example, all tail pieces or all center-cut pieces so that they cook consistently.
Swap option: You can swap in red Roma tomatoes or use striped bass instead of salmon.
- 8 to 10 (about 1½ pounds) medium green tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Six 8-ounce portions salmon, skin on, pin bones removed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn into bite-size pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the tomatoes with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the cumin and a generous pinch of salt in a bowl and toss to blend. Arrange tomatoes on a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven to cook. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drizzle with the honey. Reserve the juices. Set aside.
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Coat the salmon with the remaining olive oil, season with salt on all sides and place and on the hottest part of the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then turn 1/4 of the way to make "cross hatch" marks on each piece of the fish. Flip the salmon onto the skin side and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through (if you like salmon well done, close the lid of the grill and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes). Remove from the grill. Coat the salmon with the lemon juice.
4. Arrange the tomatoes on a serving platter. Combine any juices in the bottom of the baking sheet in a bowl with the orange juice and some of the basil leaves. Arrange the salmon on top of the tomatoes. Top with the orange juice mixture and the rest of the basil. Serve immediately.