This steak has been a staple at Fresco by Scotto for 25 years. We love using a prime rib cut; it gives you the juiciest meat.
Swap option: This recipe is equally great with a New York strip steak.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 cippolini onions, cleaned
- 1 bay leaf
- 20 fresh Calabrian chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces aged prime rib steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chiles:
1. In large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly golden. Add the onions and bay leaf and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the peppers, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
3. Add the sugar and vinegar, and turn up the heat to high. Cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in lemon juice just before serving.
For the steak:
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Take the steak out of the refrigerator and let it rest for 20 minutes.
3. Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper. Place it over direct heat and grill it on high for 5 minutes on both sides. Lower the grill to medium or move teh steak to a cooler spot, and cook for another 10 minutes, turning once.
4. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with teh chiles on top.