This is the ultimate in grilling. Mastering a perfect New York strip steak makes you look like a boss anywhere you go. If you cook this correctly, it defines what grilled food should be in terms of texture and flavor.
Technique tips: Try to refrain from moving the meat around the grill. Moving the meat around too much causes uneven cooking.
Swap option: Use your favorite cut of steak.
- One 16-ounce prime New York strip steak, about 1½ inches thick
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces peanut oil
1. Preheat the grill to high heat.
2. Cut lemon in half and place it cut side down on the grill.
3. Brush the meat with the peanut oil and season it heavily with the salt and pepper. Press the seasoning into both sides of the meat.
4. Place the meat on the grill. Cook for approximately 2½ minutes on one side and flip and cook for 1½ minutes on the other side with the lid closed.
5. Remove the lemon from the grill and set aside.
6. Remove the steak from the grill and place it on a rack to rest for at least 20 minutes.
7. After resting, place the steak back on the grill on the side that only cooked for 1½ minutes. Close lid and cook for an additional with 1½ minutes.
8. Remove the steak from the grill, squeeze the grilled lemon over it and serve immediately.