I love this recipe because it is super simple and features these gorgeous Fairy Tale eggplants. Salsa verde can be used as a condiment with any other protein or grilled vegetable of your choice.
Technique tip: Pull your steak out of the refrigerator about an hour before cooking so that it cooks evenly.
Swap option: The baby Fairy Tale eggplants can be substituted with sliced Japanese eggplant or even summer squash.
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped Calabrian chilies or crushed red pepper flakes
- Two 12-ounce New York strip steaks
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 baby eggplants, like Fairy Tale or graffiti, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 tablespoons salsa verde (recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh mint leaves
For the salsa verde:
In a mixing bowl, combine the mint, basil, olive oil, garlic, capers and chilies. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Reserve at room temperature to allow the flavors to develop at least 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.
For the steak:
1. Pull your steaks out of the refrigerator to rest at room temperature for about 45 minutes before you are ready to cook them.
2. Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium heat. Season the steaks generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the steaks for 4 minutes on each side, turning the steak every 2 minutes for a nice medium to medium-rare. Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
1. Grilled the baby eggplants, cut side down, on a very hot grill until charred well and hot throughout.
2. Spoon the room temperature salsa verde on to a serving plate to make a bed for the steak.
3. Toss the cherry tomatoes with a tablespoon of salsa verde to season.
4. Slice the steak and place on top of the salsa verde, sprinkle with a little sea salt, olive oil and garnish with the seasoned cherry tomatoes and torn herb leaves.