- 1 pound dark meat chicken
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 ounces finely diced onion
- 1 ounce finely minced garlic
- 1/2 ounce fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Milk, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Berbere, to taste (start with 2-3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup cornbread bread crumbs
- 6 slices toasted cornbread
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons cottage cheese for garnish
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 grilled ramps (from above)
- 1/2 cup water
- Basil to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Juice from 1 lime
For the meatballs:
Soak cornbread breadcrumbs in enough milk to give it the consistency of wet sand.
Combine the cornbread mixture with the remaining ingredients.
Taste for seasoning by cooking off 1 small patty.
Form the mixture into 1.5-ounce meatballs. Grill 2 minutes per side on medium heat. Add 6 pieces of ramps and grill for 8 minutes. Finish meatballs in a pan simmering in Charred Tomato Ramp Sauce.
For the tomato ramp sauce:
Char tomatoes and jalapeno on the grill until slightly smoky. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, sauté kale, shallots and garlic in olive oil until tender.
Add charred and canned tomatoes and chopped jalapeno and basil.
Bring to boil, simmer and reduce by ¼ (approximately 8 minutes). Add in the meatballs and simmer for another 8 minutes until meatballs are fully cooked. Add ramps after meatballs have been simmering.
To serve: toast cornbread and place onto serving dish. Divide sauce and meatballs. Garnish with cottage cheese and fresh herbs.