- 1 pound pizza dough
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine to medium cornmeal
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 cups pizza sauce
Skip the oven and throw a pie on the grill!
- Place a pizza stone onto the grates of a hot grill, or into an oven heated to 500`F.
- For two thin-crust pizzas, about 10”- 12”, divide dough in half and shape each half into a ball. Place on lightly floured surface and cover with a light towel. Let sit and rest for about 10 minutes. [Alternately, use 1 pound dough to make 1 large thick-crust pizza.]
- Mix the flour and cornmeal together and set aside.
- Slice mozzarella thinly, about 1/8” to ¼” thick.
- Wash basil and pull off leaves. Blot them dry on paper toweling. Discard stems.
- Sprinkle a pizza paddle or the back of a baking sheet with some of the cornmeal mixture and place 1 ball of dough in the center. Using floured hands, press the dough out into a flat circle, beginning in the center and working outwards while turning the dough to get an even thinness. Leave the outer edge a little thicker to form a crust.
- Spread 1 cup pizza sauce over the dough but not on the crust edge, then top with half the mozzarella slices and half the basil leaves.
- Using a fast back and forth motion, slide the dough to the edge of the paddle or baking sheet. Lean it toward the pizza stone and quickly slide the paddle out from underneath the pizza so that the dough is sitting directly on the pizza stone. Close the lid to the grill and cook 5-8 minutes, checking frequently for rapid browning. Depending on the heat of the grill, the pizza may be ready sooner or take a little longer. The oven should take about 8-10 minutes. Repeat with the second ball of dough.