- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- corn meal, for dusting
- tomato sauce, store-bought or homemade
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- crookneck squash or zucchini, thinly sliced and coated in olive oil, salt and pepper
- squash blossoms (about 5 per pizza), washed and pistils removed
- cherry tomatoes
- Walnut Pesto (recipe above)
- za'atar seasoning
I love this pizza because it incorporates so many fresh summer flavors and puts a bright spin on a traditional pie. The seasonal veggies and rich walnut pesto are an irresistible combination. Cooking the pizza on the grill makes it even more summery and adds a deliciously smoky char to the dough.
For the Walnut Pesto:
Blend all ingredients in processor until smooth. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
For the pizza:1.
Prepare grill on high heat to 600 degrees. Place pizza stone on grill.2.
Take one 1-cup piece of dough and roll it out onto floured surface into a 10- to 12-inch round.3.
Sprinkle pizza peel heavily with corn meal and place dough round on pizza peel.4.
Spread about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with about 1/3 cup cheese. Then carefully arrange zucchini, squash blossoms and cherry tomatoes over cheese. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons Walnut Pesto over pizza. Sprinkle with za'atar.5.
Place pizza on stone and close cover. Cook at 600 degrees for about 7 minutes, checking halfway for doneness. Use peel to remove pizza and transfer to cutting board.