- 8 ears of corn (the larger and older, the better)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh culantro or cilantro
- 2 scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1. Shuck the corn and set it aside while you prepare the shadon beni butter. 2. Place the butter, culantro, scallions, and garlic in a food processor and process until smooth. Season the butter with pepper to taste and transfer it to a bowl. Alternatively, if the herbs and garlic are very finely minced, you can stir them right into the butter in a bowl. 3. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. 4. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the corn on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned all over, 8 to 12 minutes. As the corn cooks, brush it occasionally with the shadon beni butter. 5. Remove the corn from the grill and brush it once more with the shadon beni butter. Serve at once. Recipe Copyrighted by Steven Raichlen, The Barbecue! Bible, 10th Anniversary Edition, Workman Publishing Company 2008.