Grilled corn is great because you can put whatever you want on it. And, if the corn is good quality, the end result will taste amazing. I enjoy playing with unusual texture and flavor combinations, as in this recipe for grilled corn topped with saffron ranch dressing and country ham and red pepper relish.
Saffron ranch dressing (makes about 1 quart)
- 1 small pinch saffron threads
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Country ham and red pepper relish (makes 3/4 cup)
- 2 slices country ham or proscuitto, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hot pepper relish
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crème fraÎche
- 6 ears corn, husks removed
For the saffron ranch dressing:
1. In a small bowl, steep the saffron in the hot water until bright yellow and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients, including the saffron and steeping water, in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend, in small batches, until smooth.
4. Store in small batches and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the country ham and red pepper relish:
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the corn:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt.
2. Add the corn and bring the water to a simmer. Cook until just tender.
3. Remove the corn from the pot and dry the corn thoroughly.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
5. Grill the corn for a few second on each side to add char and create grill marks.
Set out bowls of the dressing and relish and let guests smear their corn on the cob with the toppings.