- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup reserved brine from peppadew peppers jar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds chicken breast, diced into 2-inch pieces
- 4 sausage links, par-frozen and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch size pieces
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut in half (or quarters, if large)
- 3 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12-inch-long wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 30 minutes before using
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- 1 (14-ounce) jar peppadew peppers, diced and brine reserved
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup reserved brine from peppadew peppers jar
- 1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
This recipe is a twist on my popular stove-top recipe for chicken giambotta made barbecue-friendly! This dish, which can also be done using an indoor grill pan (but cook times may vary slightly), is inspired by the Southern Italian dish which typically contains a mixture of summer vegetables available to the region at that time. The briny flavor from the peppadews adds a brightness to the rich flavor of the chicken and sausage. If you like spice, kick up the Calabrian chili paste in the tapenade a bit. You can even add some to the marinade!
Technique tip: Steam potatoes in the microwave slightly before marinating to help easily skewer and cook faster. To help make cutting the sausage easier, place links in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes before hand.
For the marinade:
Place a large zip-top bag inside a medium mixing bowl and add Italian seasoning, fresh rosemary, extra virgin olive oil, reserved peppadew brine, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Stir to combine.
For the skewers:
Add chicken, sausage, onions, potatoes and bell peppers to the marinade and mix to combine to ensure everything is coated in the marinade. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
For the tapenade:
In the meantime, prepare the tapenade. Mix together diced artichoke hearts, diced peppadew peppers, olive oil, peppadew brine, Calabrian chili paste and salt. Set aside.
To assemble and cook:1.
To the skewer, add a few pieces of onions, followed by a piece of chicken, 1 piece of bell pepper, 1 piece of sausage, and 1 potato onto a soaked wooden skewer or metal skewer. Repeat until skewer is mostly full, You should have 3 pieces of chicken and 2 pieces of sausage per skewer.2.
Place skewers onto a preheated grill over direct medium-high heat. Baste skewers with leftover marinade during the first 5 minutes of cooking. Cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, until well-charred and potatoes and chicken are cooked through.3.
Remove from the grill and place onto a serving platter. Serve with artichoke and pepper tapenade over top.