These enchiladas come together in a snap. They are spicy and satisfying and so great for enjoying on a chilly night. Precooked turkey and store-bought enchilada sauce keep prep quick so they're perfect for busy weeknights.
Swap option: Mild red enchilada sauce works great too!
- 1 pound shredded cooked turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 12 to 14 small corn or flour tortillas
- One 4-ounce can mild green chilies
- 2½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Two 14-ounce cans green enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with a little vegetable oil.
2. In a large skillet, cook the onions in the oil for 4-5 minutes on medium heat or until golden brown, add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and stir them in for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the canned chilies, shredded turkey, salt and pepper and cook everything together for about 4-5 minutes or until the turkey begins to caramelize a bit around the edges, remove the filling to a bowl to cool.
4. In the same skillet, add both cans of sauce and allow it to come to a boil, mix together the water and cornstarch and add it to the sauce. Cook for a couple minutes, remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool a bit.
5. Take each tortilla and quickly warm it up either in a skillet or right over a gas burner, set them aside.
6. Add half of the sauce in the bottom of your pan and set aside.
7. Take each toasted tortilla, smear a spoonful of sauce on each one, top with some of the turkey mixture followed by a little cheese as well, wrap like a mini burrito and place it seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
8. Continue the same step until all of your tortillas are rolled, pour remaining sauce over the top, sprinkle remaining cheese and bake them for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.