I first tasted this dish while living in Cyprus. The salad was made in a giant wooden mixing bowl and was served with pita bread and your meat of your choice right from the turning spit. It was so spectacular and an incredible culinary experience. Encourage guests to use their fingers to make a mini sandwich with the pita, salad and beef.
Technique tip: Select a wide diversity of tomatoes types and colors for this dish, it's key to optimizing presentation value.
- 3 English cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 3 green peppers, cored and chopped
- 3 yellow peppers, cored and chopped
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into thin slices, then quartered
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- Fresh mint leaves, torn
- Fresh parsley leaves, torn
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup za'atar spice
- 6 small pita breads
1. Place the cucumber, peppers, onion, tomatoes, olives, parsley and mint in a large wooden mixing bowl.
2. Place the lemon and lime juices into a measuring cup. Pour in the olive oil and sprinkle in the za'atar spice. Use a whisk to blend well.
3. Pour about a quarter of the dressing into the mixing bowl and toss the salad gently. Pour another quarter of the dressing and repeat the toss.
4. Divide the salad into 6 large salad bowls. Top with sliced beef, drizzle with additional dressing and serve with pita on the side.