- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons hot and sweet pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons relish
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- butter, softened
- 1½ pounds ground chuck/short rib/brisket blend (80/20), shaped into 8 (3-ounce) balls
- 3 large white onions, very thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 16 slices American cheese
- 4 potato rolls, lightly toasted
- yellow mustard
- Special Sauce (recipe above)
- bread and butter pickle chips
The Gotham Smash is a delicious, nostalgic burger that brings you back to your childhood. There's nothing like the taste of memories.
For the special sauce:
In a medium-sized bowl, mix all ingredients until well-combined.
For the burgers:1.
Preheat a griddle over high heat. Brush the griddle with a thin coating of butter.2.
Add the meat to the griddle, leaving ample space between each ball. Top each ball with a generous handful of onions. Let cook for 2 minutes, then using a solid metal spatula, firmly smash each ball into a thin patty; season generously with salt.3.
Cook until the edges are very caramelized. Flip the patties and top each with a slice of cheese. Cook until a crust forms on the bottom of each patty and the cheese is melted.
Take one patty and stack it on top of another. Slide the double stack onto the bottom half of a bun.
Top with a swirl each of ketchup, mustard and Special Sauce. Add a few pickle chips and top with the top half of the bun.