Actress Jennifer Esposito, who owns a gluten-free bakery, shares her recipe for wheat-free, gluten-free flatbread made with cassava and coconut flours.
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- coarse sea salt
1. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds with 2 tablespoons warm water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix with a fork.
4. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup warm water, the oil and the honey.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with fork.
6. Add chia seed mixture to the large bowl and mix again.
7. In a small bowl or cup, add the baking soda and then the apple cider. It will start to bubble. Add to the large bowl and combine. You should now have a nice dough.
8. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and, using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a large square or circle about 1/4-inch thick.
9. Place in oven on baking stone or on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven, brush with olive oil, dried rosemary and coarse sea salt. Continue baking for an additional 5 minutes.