I wanted to create a recipe for banana bread that had it all — a rich banana flavor, a fluffy texture, and even chocolate chips. But I also wanted to incorporate some of my favorite ingredients like almond flour, coconut flour and almond butter. This banana bread checks all of the boxes ... and then some! It's free of gluten, dairy and grains so it's suitable for people with various food allergies. But don't let that fool you, it's still totally indulgent and so easy to make.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup, plus 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips, plus more for adding on top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8- by 8-inch pan lightly with coconut oil.
2. In a small bowl, mash two very ripe bananas until a smooth mixture is achieved. Add almond butter to the banana mixture and whisk to combine.
3. Beat two eggs and add them to the banana mixture, along with the honey, melted and cooled coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine thoroughly.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and baking powder.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using.
6. Transfer the banana bread batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.